Go with a smile!

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Humble

I have never worked for SendGrid. But one day my former workplace came up with a slogan for what they like to see in their own people. Hungry, Humble, Happy and Honest. The 4 Hs.

I was a little nonplussed by all that. I saw the purpose of being Happy, Honest and Hungry. I thought being hungry was the big thing. What was this thing about being humble?

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it struck me that humble wasn't really universal, but it was the one thing that had to do specifically with what the place I worked for did for a living. What we did was UX related. And UX is about presentation. Everything you did, everything you were, was outward facing. UX is nothing if not being considerate about what you presented to the user. It was a very customer centric line. It was consistently and always putting the user first and yourself second.

We had a workplace that had a lot of ladies in it. And probably for good reason. Because the orientation was about something more feminine. How do I get him to notice me? How do I make him want to fuck me? How do I make him sit up and look? It's a lot of consideration for somebody else other than yourself. It's a lot of wanting to be a pleaser.

Does that sound a little more Asian to you? How would you feel if I were to say that my boss was Asian? I'm not working there anymore. It was great while it lasted, but towards the end, my outlook was diverging from them. I'd maybe say that my brain was probably built more for knowledge enquiry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment