Go with a smile!

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Changes in Singapore

The 1985 recession in Singapore was some kind of a turning point in our history, but I don't know cos I was too young to make sense of it.

In the mid 90s, there were 4 revolutions. First was the post cold war hyper globalisation era. Second was the rise of China. Related to the first two were the second great influx of migrants. Third was the rise of the internet and the relaxation of free speech in Singapore. And last was the Asian Financial crisis. Together, this meant that the Singapore of my adulthood was very different from my childhood.

There was another big revolution in 2011 with that crazy election, and this current pandemic will be a harbinger of some change, but we don't really know what that change is. But I can tell you that I've lived in America for a while, and it's a place where construction workers are paid well. It takes forever to build anything, and the construction costs will be high. There will be big impacts on the Singaporean economy if construction costs go up, which is probably going to be inevitable if you want migrant workers to live a better life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment